A home-made alternative to Buttermilk (sour milk or acidified milk).
Add 1 tbsp fresh lemon or white vinegar to a bowl. Then add 1 cup of regular room temperature whole (full cream milk)
Stir and let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour
For instance to make 1 and ½ cups of buttermilk, add 1 and ½ tbsp of fresh lemon to 1 and ½ cups of regular, full cream milk.
This sour milk can be used in place of buttermilk in this recipe.
I have tried different banana cake recipes and they all turned out good and tasty but this banana cake recipe beats them all. It is yummy melts in the mouth, and you can taste the banana as you are eating it.
Ingredients (exactly as I used them)
- 6 big ripe bananas ( about 2 cups mashed)
- 3 and ½ cups all purpose flour (438.5g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup (170g) margarine
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) light or dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ cups (360ml) buttermilk at room temperature
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, salt. Whisk all together and set aside.
- Mash the bananas with fork or mixer and set aside.
- Cream butter till smooth and creamy. Add both sugars and cream until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat on high speed.
- Beat in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients in four additions, alternating with the buttermilk and mix each addition just until it’s incorporated into the batter. Don’t over mix.
- The batter won’t be thick.
- You can add 1 cup of mixed fruits and chopped almonds to give this banana cake a nutty taste.
- You can equally sprinkle sesame seed on top of the bread for more nutrition and aesthetics.
- If you do not have buttermilk at home, you can check out this homemade alternative. That is what I use for this recipe and it turns out great all the time.
I would love to hear from you. Did you try this recipe? Post a picture and it with us facebook page or tag us.
Share this recipe with a friend that loves banana cake.
Recipe Name: Vegetable sauce (Ji-afifia)
Origin: Igbo – Orumba -Anambra State
Type or Purpose: Quick Lunch
- 1 bunch Fresh onugbu (bitter leaf / Ugu (pumpkin leaf)
- Fresh red pepper (3)
- Palm oil (4 tablespoons)
- Ukpaka (2 wraps)
- Onion (1 medium size)
- Bone marrow – Optional
- Okro (2 medium-size)
- Seasoning cubes ( I prefer Maggi cubes for this recipe) – Optional
- Ogili Igbo (optional)
- Wash and Chop vegetables into large sizes and half cook the vegetables and the Okro.
- Add the ukpaka and some onions to the cooking pot.
- Pound or blend the okro, vegetable and ukpaka.
- Cook the bone marrow with salt in a little water.
- Add the ground vegetable, ukpaka and okro to the boiling bone marrow.
- Add salt, remaining onions and oil.
- Turn with wooden spoon and taste.
- Serve with boiled yam.
Recipe Name: White Sauce
- pieces of chicken breasts and drumsticks or turkey parts.
- Thickener (Corn flour or mashed Irish potatoes)
- 5 cups of coconut milk
- Onions – chopped in chunks
- 4 medium-sized cloves of garlic (crushed)
- Ginger(well blended)
- Chicken stock cubes
- White pepper
- Carrot (diced into big squares)
- Leek (chopped roughly)
- Spring onions
- 2 big green pepper (cut into big sqares)
- Handful of Green beans (cut into 4-5 pieces)
- Red bell pepper (cut in circles)
- Curry and thyme ( optional)
- Cabbage ( cut into big chunks)
- Any other choice of spice you wish to add.
- Wash your chicken or turkey thoroughly with warm water and salt.
- Marinade it with your choice marinade ingredients for 6hrs or overnight in fridge.
- Cook the your chicken, add water to cover the chicken well
- Add onions, salt, garlic and ginger, stock cubes, curry and thyme if you are using them and any other choice spice.
- Cook till the chicken is done to your taste then remove the chicken.
- Add the coconut milk to the stock and let it boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make a paste with 5 tbsp of corn flour and add to the chicken stock that is still boiling. If you are using potatoes add in place of the corn flour.
- Add 1 tsp of white pepper
- Allow to simmer for 5mins, and check the consistency of the sauce, if it is not to the thickness you want add more thicker but if it is to your taste then add the leek, red pepper, half of the green pepper, green beans and carrot, cook for 4 mins check for the softness of the vegs, if they aren’t soft yet then cook for another minute.
- Once the first set of vegetables are soft to your taste, and the sauce is tasty enough to your taste then add the the remaining green pepper, cabbage and spring onions.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute add the chicken and let it simmer for another 2 mins.
- Turn off the gas and serve with basmati or jasmine rice or any other cereal of choice.
I love hearing from you. Let me know if you love this recipe.
Crepe – Spicy and Sweet served with fish sauce.
Some mornings, you just don’t feel like being in the kitchen for long, but you need a nice, delicious, nutritious and filling meal to take you through the day.
And in my home, we all love this Quick breakfast meal, the best part of it is that you already most of the ingredients in your pantry and it takes less than 40minutes to make.
Crepe: yields 6
- 1 and ½ cups flour
- 3 tbsp – sugar
- 1 tbsp – Salt
- Half – green pepper
- 1 – red pepper
- 2 tsp – baking powder
- 1tbsp – Vanilla flavour
- 1 – Egg
- 3tbsp – Vegetable oil
- 1 cup – water
- 1 cup – milk
- Oil for dusting the pan
- A handful of finely chopped onion
NOTE: You can replace the water with milk.
- 1 cup – Fish flakes
- 5 tbsp – oil
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together,
- Mix well, make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients ( milk, water, vanilla flavour, oil and egg)
NOTE: You can use a food processor to mix it all together.
- Mix all together till it is smooth. Set aside and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add the chopped peppers and onion.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat and dust it with a little oil, pour in a batter using a ¼ cup. Swirl it to fill the bottom of the pan.
- Let it cook until bubbles appear on top and its golden brown on the underside approximately 2minutes. Gently flip it gently fast and cook the top till it is golden brown.
Your Spicy Pancake is ready.
- Heat the oil in the pan
- Add onion
- fry it until it’s fragrant
- Add salt, fish, the tomatoes.
- Fry for 4 minutes
- Dish out and scoop into each crepe and fold it.
Serve the crepe with oatmeal.
I hope you enjoyed this delicious quick breakfast